September 26, 2008

Ohagi (Botamochi)

typical OhagiOhagi is sweet rice ball.
Traditionaly we eat Ohagi in autumnal equinoctial week.

Ohagi is made by cooking rice and glutinous rice (Mochi gome).
Cooked rice is mashed, formed into ball, and covered with sweet red bean paste.
But some time rice ball is covered with such as kinako flour and sesame seeds.


Ohagi kinako versionPhoto above is Kinako version.


By the way, nowadays "Ohagi" and "Botamochi" are almost same.
We call it "Botamochi" in spring, and we call it "Ohagi" in fall.

4 comments:

Para i familiaku said...

I love Ohagi! I love anything with red beans that is sweet! I never made them, but I have seen them being made in a Japanese shop in Tokyo, and also in cooking videos. It is so delicious! Makes me want to eat that right now!

 gmirage said...

Mochi...there's also yam flavor right? The other looks like chocolate coated?

La Bella Cooks said...

I love rice, so I think this would be worth a try. I've never had sweet bean paste.

nobu said...

Thanks all!

mirage; it is made from mochi-gome. but it isn't mochi.
Chocllate? haha, It is red bean paste.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...